Elliptical MachinesElliptical machines are relatively new to the family of fitness equipment, as compared to treadmills and stationary bikes. They have increased in popularity during the last few years. Elliptical machines, in theory, allow the person to burn a similar number of calories as jogging,but without the risk of injury to the back, knees, hips, or ankles. Your feet never leave the pedals. As a result, this type of machine is quite low-impact and goes easy on the joints. In fact, whereas exercising on a treadmill requires your body to absorb the impact force of walking or running, exercising on an elliptical can be compared to running in midair.
Elliptical machines mimic the normal elliptical motion of the foot, the extension of the leg, and the rotation of the hip during walking or running. This motion uses all the leg muscles, giving you a total lower-body workout.
Elliptical machines simultaneously work the upper body! As the feet go through their elliptical motion, the hands grip the moving handlebars, exercising the arms. The movement of the dual handlebars mimics cross-country skiing. Now, this particular type of workout may not necessarily pump you up to look like a bodybuilder. However, because you are including the upper 30% of your body in your workouts, the results will be more efficient.
Because elliptical trainers DO work the upper and lower body simultaneously, the heart rate climbs more quickly. Thus, less time is required to achieve more results. The amount of energy expended is optimized. As the legs are being worked, the back, shoulders, chest, biceps, and triceps are also working ...making it possible to burn more calories in less time.
Benefits of Elliptical Machines
- You can get in a great exercise session for a smaller amount of time because ellipticals are capable of exercising both the upper and lower body at the same time.
- Elliptical machines are very low-impact and ideal for older individuals and those with rehabilitating from injuries,
- Less stress on joints and muscles, and less chances of injuries of the back, knees, ankles and other joints.
- Great cardiovascular benefits. Because it does work both upper and lower body simultaneously, the heart rate is quickly elevated, allowing for a great cardiovascular workout.
- Efficient and effective for weight loss. The sooner you can increase your heart rate during a workout, the more efficient it is for your body to burn those calories and extra weight.
- Requires little or no skill to get started. Simply step on the pedals and begin pedaling.
- Most machines come with preset exercise programs to choose from, so working out can be as varied and as challenging as you choose.
- Having it at home allows you to workout at your own convenience and your own time, without worrying about outside interferences such as bad weather or traffic.
- Can benefit the entire family or household.
- The health benefits are priceless.Elliptical machines also strengthen and tone muscles in your legs and arms. The back and abdominal muscles also become stronger. You will look better and you feel better in no time!